- Over 14 years experience designing layouts, interfaces, logos, and graphics for online and print initiatives.
- Over 14 years experience developing, coding, and hosting accessible, user-friendly websites and emails.
- Extensive experience prototyping layouts and developing information architecture for websites.
- Proficiency with content management systems, mobile responsive design, and leveraging social APIs.
- Small business owner with demonstrated success managing many clients and responsibilities.
Technical Skills & Proficiencies
- Photoshop (14 years)
- Illustrator (14 years)
- InDesign (12 years)
- BBEdit (14 years)
- Dreamweaver (9 years)
- Flash (5 years)
- Coda (2 years)
- Wirecast (1 year)
- User interface design (16 years)
- Designing for accessibility, usability, and cross-platform compatibility (14 years)
- Wireframing, prototyping, and demoing (12 years)
- Information architecture (12 years)
- Content management systems (2 years)
- RSS feed integration (2 years)
- Mobile web apps and mobile responsive design (1 year)
2001 - Present Freelance Designer/Developer
- Created user interfaces, navigational menus, graphics, logos, and typography for websites and email marketing campaigns (Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Designed layouts, logos, and print collateral with publishing tools like Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
- Provided clients with proofs, prototypes, and conceptual drawings prior to coding and development.
- Defined site maps and information architecture for online projects, refined with feedback and analytics.
- Coded websites using HTML, CSS, PHP, and jQuery with web development tools such as BBEdit, Dreamweaver, and Coda.
- Deployed, hosted, managed, and maintained websites using WHM and cPanel.
- Implemented content management systems and mobile responsive designs.
- Integrated shopping carts, social APIs, forums, and RSS feeds into websites.
- Developed new user interfaces for popular social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube).
- Crowdsourced a Google spreadsheet with over 1000 contributors to organize circles and communities on Google+ long before Google+ had a community feature.
2005 - Present Co-Owner, Technology Director | Video Solutions
- Developed, hosted, deployed, and maintained company website and email marketing campaigns.
- Built information architecture and operation of website and HTML emails to minimize customer confusion.
- Designed layouts for logos, letterheads, business cards, and all other marketing materials, maintaining consistent branding and imagery across all media (Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Managed distribution of print and online marketing initiatives.
- Generated prototypes, custom user interfaces, and unique graphics for screen-based remote controls.
- Custom programmed logic for over 200 universal remote controls using proprietary software packages.
- Drafted visually rich sales proposals based on detailed in-home consultations and client’s specific needs.
- Provided customer service and technical support via phone/email, as well as in-home service calls.
- Administered hands-on training for residential and commercial audio/video systems up to $50,000.
- Managed teams (3-4 people) and inventory to ensure projects were completed on time and efficiently.
2004-2005 Lead Designer & Developer | Big Fish Marketing
- Developed HTML prototypes for monthly email newsletters and email follow-up campaigns that were aesthetically engaging while maintaining compatibility across all platforms.
- Designed website user interfaces and site architecture focused on simplicity, usability, and accessibility.
- Used professional graphics programs (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) to design layouts for print-based media such as billboards, magazines, newspapers, and direct mail.
- Held brainstorming sessions with clients to develop cohesive campaigns that spanned both print and online initiatives.
- Managed creative workflow of all projects under tight deadlines in a fast-paced, production-focused environment to ensure deadlines were met and clients were happy.
1999-2003 Web Designer | Internet Solutions Group
Computer Services, University of South Carolina
Computer Services, University of South Carolina
- Designed and produced graphics and logos for websites within The University of South Carolina (e.g. www.sc.edu, vip.sc.edu, csd.sc.edu, maps.sc.edu).
- Worked closely with University Webmaster to code and publish departmental web pages (HTML, CSS) and implement common look-and-feel across divisions, colleges, and departments.
- Adhered strictly to W3C accessibility standards, validating all code and testing in text-only browsers.
- Designed prototypes for the main USC portal, as well as Computer Services Division (now called UTS) using graphics tools such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Designed the original logo for VIP (amazingly still being used, could use a refresh, vip.sc.edu) and developed an HTML-based demo of the VIP system (coded using a text-editor, BBEdit).